16th Jun 2014
Finding the right personal injury lawyer to assist you in your personal injury case can really be overwhelming especially when you don’t have any idea on where to go and who to run to. As we all know, after seeking medical treatment prior to an accident, finding a lawyer is the next step that you have to do when you are involved on any other matter relating to personal injury. There are definitely various ways on how to locate the best personal injury lawyer for your lawsuit.
As with what most people would recommend, one sure way to find a personal injury lawyer is through legal matchmaking services. Through this, you are assured that you’ll be able to get in touch with qualified and experienced lawyers because these services offer only the finest, most credible legal specialists to handle your case. These lawyers are all being screened to meet certain standards in terms of legal qualifications, profile evaluation, and practical experience.
Online legal matchmaking services are also widely used nowadays. What you need to do is just fill-up an online form and submit it. After careful assessment of some online attorneys if they can handle and help you out with your case well, they will then contact you as soon as possible. From there, you can also evaluate the capacity of the lawyer to take charge of your lawsuit through his personal profile before deciding to avail his services.
In addition, you can also visit the sites of these legal matchmaking services if you are having some doubts about how well can they answer your legal demands and concerns. After doing some rigorous research about these law firms and attorneys on personal injury, you can now contact the services with which you were most impressed and fill out their form. You must take note that you have to do it in a little rush because your legal problems can definitely be solved in just a few hours.
These methods in finding a personal injury lawyer have all been tried and tested through the years. Some can be effective for you, others cannot. You can try all of them and see for yourself if which is the best way to locate the perfect attorney for your personal injury case. Please just remember that you have to be careful in doing so because if you’ll commit even a small mistake in choosing your lawyer, you might not get the proper attention and defense that you deserve.
7 Tips to Hiring a Great Personal Injury Lawyer
If you suffer an injury resulting in significant damages you will need to hire a personal injury lawyer. But in any given city, there are probably over 20 pages of personal injury attorney listings in the phone book. How do you pick the right one? What do you look for? What questions should you ask?
Here are 7 things you should know before hiring your injury lawyer…
1) The sooner you hire your lawyer the better. Begin looking for your personal injury lawyer within a week or two after your accident. If you’re not physically capable you should have a friend or loved-one start looking. The sooner you start building your case the better.
2) Hire a personal injury lawyer that specializes in your specific type of injuries. Do your homework before signing the retainer agreement. Visit the firm’s website and read up on it’s history and each lawyer’s biographical information. Ask the lawyer for some referrences and ask how much experience they have in handling cases with similar injuries. What settlement awards did they get in those cases?
3) Have a face-to-face meeting with your prospective lawyer. Your personal injury lawyer is going to be your closest advisor during this difficult time. You must feel comfortable and trust your lawyer. The only way you’ll get a feel for the lawyer is by having a sit-down to discuss your case. Any good personal injury lawyer will give you an initial consultation free of charge.
4) Hire a lawyer that will take your case on a contingency fee basis. This means that your lawyer won’t get paid unless you get paid. He will take his fee out of the money you receive for your injuries. You can expect your lawyer to take about 33% of your final settlement – that’s after expenses are taken off the top. Make sure you clearly understand the payment structure before you sign the retainer agreement.
5) Beware of ambulance chasers. The goal of these lawyers is to get lots of minor personal injury cases and settle them quickly – they make their profit from high turnover. So naturally they won’t put as much time and effort into each case as they should. (If you’re looking for a quick settlement be prepared to accept less than what your case is really worth.)
6) Hire a lawyer with a good Martindale-Hubbell rating. This service evaluates lawyers in the U.S. and Canada based on peer review. Their website, Martindale.com has a helpful lawyer locator service and will explain the rating system.
7) Always be completely open and honest when discussing your case with a lawyer. Tell the lawyer as much as you can about what happened. Try to remember every detail. Any documentation and pictures you have of your injuries and treatment will be a big help when evaluating your case.
8) NEVER give a recorded statement to a representative from any insurance company until you’ve consulted a lawyer. When the rep. asks for one simply say, “I’m not prepared to give a statement at this time.” A recorded statement can be used as evidence and if you’re not prepared you might overlook important details. Anything you miss (or misrepresent) can be used against you in settlement negotiations and in the trial.